Scroll saws are a great tool for woodworkers. They’re easy to use and can cut through many different types of materials. But one thing they don’t do well is make straight cuts, which means you need to add some kind of guide or fence if you want your workpiece to be perfectly straight.
In this article, we will show you how to build a simple fence that attaches directly onto the scroll saw table so it won’t move around while in use. We will also explain why this type of fence works better than other options such as clamping on an auxiliary board or using a miter gauge with stops attached. If you have never used a scroll saw before then read our beginner’s guide here first! Now let’s get started building your own custom fence!
What is scroll saw?
A scroll saw is a small electric or pedal-powered saw used to cut intricate curves and designs in wood, metal, and other materials.
Why do you need a fence?
A fence helps to keep the workpiece aligned with the blade and prevents the material from slipping off the table. This is especially important when cutting intricate designs.
How do you make a fence for a scroll saw?
There are several ways to make a fence for a scroll saw. One common method is to use a piece of wood that is the same thickness as the blade and attach it to the table with clamps or screws. Another option is to use a commercially-available fence or to make your own from metal or plastic.
How do you use the fence?
The fence should be positioned so that it is parallel to the blade and the workpiece is against the fence. The blade should then be lowered until it just barely touches the workpiece. Be careful not to let the blade touch the fence, as this can cause damage to the blade and the fence.
What are some tips for using a scroll saw?
- Always use a fence when cutting intricate designs.
- Make sure the workpiece is against the fence before lowering the blade.
- Be careful not to let the blade touch the fence.
- Keep your hands and fingers away from the blade.
- Use a dust mask when cutting wood to avoid breathing in sawdust.
- Make sure the saw is unplugged when changing blades or making adjustments.
- Practice safe sawing techniques to avoid injury.
Scroll saws are a great way to cut intricate designs in wood, metal, and other materials. A fence is an essential part of using a scroll saw and helps to keep the workpiece aligned with the blade. The blade should then be lowered until it just barely touches the workpiece. Be careful not to let the blade touch the fence, as this can cause damage to the blade and the fence. Some tips for using a scroll saw include always using a fence, making sure the workpiece is against the fence before lowering the blade, and being careful not to let the blade touch the fence.
What type of wood should you use for a scroll saw fence?
The type of wood you should use for a scroll saw fence is important to consider. You’ll want to use a hard, sturdy wood that won’t easily warp or crack. Some good options include oak, maple, and birch.
How to make a basic fence?
Scroll saw fences are important for making accurate cuts. The fence helps to hold the stock in place and guide the blade along a straight line. There are a few different ways to make a scroll saw fence, but all of them require basic woodworking skills. One option is to use a T-bar clamp. This is the simplest way to make a fence, but it is not very adjustable. The clamp must be positioned in the right spot on the table in order for the fence to be accurate. Another option is to make a simple box frame out of wood. This fence is more adjustable than the T-bar clamp, but it is also more complicated to build. The best option is to make a custom fence for your scroll saw. This fence can be adjusted to fit any stock size and can be made from any type of wood.
To make a custom fence, you will need:
- A piece of wood that is at least as wide as the stock you are using
- A piece of wood that is at least as long as the stock you are using
- T-bar clamps or a box frame
- Ruler or tape measure
- Circular saw or jigsaw
1. Measure and mark the width and length of the stock on the piece of wood that will be your fence.
2. Cut the wood to size using a circular saw or jigsaw.
3. If you are using T-bar clamps, position them on the table so that they will clamp the fence in place. If you are using a box frame, assemble the frame and attach it to the table.
4. Use a ruler or tape measure to mark the distance from the blade to the fence on both the left and right sides of the table.
5. Use a pencil to draw a line connecting these marks. This is the cutting edge of your fence.
6. Cut along this line using a circular saw or jigsaw.
7. Attach the fence to the table using T-bar clamps or a box frame.
8. The fence should now be accurately positioned and ready to use.
- If you are making a custom fence, it is a good idea to draw out the design on paper first and make sure it is correct before cutting into the wood.
- The fence can be made from any type of wood, but it is important to use a sturdy wood that will not bend or warp.
- The fence can be attached to the table in any position, but it is usually easiest to attach it so that it is parallel with the blade.
When working with any power tool, it is important to take precautions to ensure your safety. With a scroll saw, one of the most important things you can do is to use a fence. A fence helps to keep the material you are cutting in place and prevents it from slipping off the table. It also helps to ensure that your cuts are straight and accurate.
There are a few different ways to make a fence for a scroll saw. One way is to use a piece of wood that is the same thickness as the material you are cutting. You can attach this piece of wood to the table of the saw with screws or clamps. Another way to make a fence is to use a piece of metal bar stock. This can be attached to the table in the same way as the wooden fence, or it can be held in place with magnets. Whichever way you choose to make your fence, it is important to make sure that it is stable and will not move while you are cutting. It is also important to make sure that the fence is the right height. The fence should be positioned so that the material you are cutting is just above the blade.
This will help to ensure accuracy and prevent the material from binding against the blade. When using a fence, always use caution and be aware of your surroundings. Keep your hands and fingers away from the blade at all times. Always unplug the saw when you are finished using it. Taking these precautions will help ensure safe and accurate cutting with your scroll saw.
Scroll saw fences are an important part of the scroll saw process, and can be made in a variety of ways. In this blog post, we’ve shown you three methods for how to make a fence for a scroll saw that will help improve your accuracy and results when scrolling. We hope you found this information helpful and informative. Have you tried any of these methods yourself? Let us know in the comments below!